The Diocese of Hereford was founded in AD676 and covers the whole of the county of Herefordshire, south Shropshire and some parishes in Worcestershire, Powys and Monmouthshire.
We are part of the Church of England which itself is part of the wider Anglican Communion.
The Diocese is roughly 1650 square miles, making it geographically large, with an overwhelmingly rural population of 323,000.
The Diocese of Hereford has 420 churches in 356 parishes divided between 13 deaneries within two Archdeaconries. Many of our church buildings are historic, local landmarks and meeting places and part of the heritage of the country.
The main centre of our population is the ancient and historic city of Hereford; the major market towns are Bridgnorth, Ledbury, Leominster, Ludlow and Ross-on-Wye; smaller market towns include Bromyard, Bishop's Castle and Kington.