Bishop Andrew Hedge is looking to appoint a priest as Vicar of the Parish of Havelock North in Hawke’s Bay, New Zealand. Havelock North is part of the Hastings District with easy access to Napier City. Havelock North sits inland from the coast at Waimarama and Ocean Beach, at the foot of the great Te Mata Peak on the edge of the Heretaunga plains, with the Kaweka and Ruahine Ranges to the west. With its own micro-climate it is a fruit bowl and wine growing region of note surrounded by viticulture, horticulture and agriculture. The Havelock North community has high standard state and private primary and secondary schooling and excellent community facilities, and the wider region provides and supports many arts, culture and sporting opportunities.
The Diocese of Waiapu has 33 parishes over 3 regions. In all that it offers, Waiapu stands for a church that is welcoming and inclusive of all, open, broad-based and ecumenical in its understanding of the Christian faith, committed to a ministry of all the baptized and committed to Tikanga Rua, a partnership with Māori built on justice and mutual respect. Anglican Care Waiapu (ACW) is the social services arm of Anglican Diocese of Waiapu, providing social services in various forms.
The parish has a main worship centre, St Luke’s Church, which is an extremely well-maintained plant offering flexibility in the worship space and includes a couple of meeting areas, offices and a large lounge in one integrated building. Worship is also supported at St Stephen’s, Elsthorpe which takes in Kairakau and Mangakuri. The parish operates an Op Shop, has Messy Church and children’s music and movement ministries, along with other parish and community-facing activities. Havelock North is a fast-growing area with recent sub-divisions opening the possibilities of growth. The parish owns a well appointed and maintained vicarage within Havelock North.
The person the parish seeks for this role as Vicar needs to:
- Enable everyone to experience wholeness, enrichment and transformation of life through Jesus Christ
- Provide an emphasis on children’s and young people’s participation in the church
- Be committed to a co-operative caring faith community searching for ways to bring God’s message to the community
- Be a prayerful team leader
- Be welcoming of all people into the church
- Have involvement in the lives of the village and outlying areas; churches, schools and community events
- Be open to new needs in the community
- Have a strong and inspirational faith
- Have good liturgical, preaching and teaching skills providing a variety of worship styles
For expressions of interest please contact in the first instance Sandra Gifkins (Executive Assistant, Diocese of Waiapu) firstname.lastname@example.org for a Parish Profile.
Application closing date is Friday 21 June 2019.
Closing date: 21 June 2019