Salary range: £21,000 to £26,000, depending on experience
A full-time reporter is sought to work in the Church Times’s busy London office, working as part of the editorial team that produces the weekly Church Times and daily online news stories. The successful applicant would be joining a small news team, so it’s a key appointment.
Readers depend upon the Church Times for informed, well-researched, balanced stories. We are therefore looking for somebody who possesses:
- a good working knowledge of the Anglican Church
- a track record of finding and pursuing stories
- a concern for accuracy and fact-checking, and a clear, easily comprehensible writing style
- the ability to work quickly to deadlines without any loss of quality
- familiarity with Twitter and other online tools
- a quick grasp of the issues and sensitivities of the subject matter
- the ability to work as part of a team — and on his/her own
The demands of the job mean that the reporter will need to be flexible. The core hours are 9-5 in our office near the Barbican, but evening and weekend work comes up at times, often at short notice, in return for time off in lieu. In addition, online work has increased the newsroom workload, as we file breaking stories first on the website and tweet them to our 29,000 followers.
There is a contributory pension scheme.
The Church Times is owned by Hymns Ancient & Modern, a registered charity. Also in the group are SCM-Canterbury Press, Church House Publishing, the Church House Bookshop, Norwich Books and Music (distributors), and a selection of other periodicals, among them The Sign, and Crucible.
Please email the editor (email@example.com) before the closing date with a CV, referees, some examples of your work, and an indication of your present salary and availability.
Closing date for applications: 11 a.m. Monday 25 September
Interviews: Thursday 28 September