The Diocese of Southwark has been on an exciting journey in the past few years as we have explored imaginative and creative ways of being Church. Using the idea of a Pioneer Spectrum we have developed a missional approach to fresh expressions/ new Christian communities that has encouraged innovation, diversity and experimentation.
To embed and encourage this approach within the Diocese the Bishop has created a new department of Pioneering Ministry and Fresh Expressions. By 2025 we expect to have 100 Pioneers (lay and ordained). We have 100 fresh expressions of Church and expect that having a focus on encouraging, resourcing and supporting pioneering will see a significant increase in this number. Pioneering has played a key part in our past two successful Strategic Development Fund (SDF) bids. We wish and expect this focus to continue in future bids.
The post-holder will be part of an exciting new team led by Canon Will Cookson, Director of Pioneering Ministry and Dean of Fresh Expressions. The Diocese has a vision for growth and the new team is expected to play its part in helping the Diocese to grow and innovate.
Some of the key ways that we anticipate that this will happen are:
- Encouraging and supporting Lay and Ordained Pioneer Ministry
- Growing fresh expressions of Church/ new Christian communities
- Supporting a culture of innovation and risk taking in the Diocese
The role of Pioneer Development Officer will play a key role in ensuring that our goals are met through supporting churches and lay teams across the Diocese, through consultancy, training and learning communities.
We are seeking someone with a mature Christian faith with a passion for mission and:
- Exceptional emotional intelligence and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Passionate about fresh expressions of Church
- Demonstrable and practical experience of Pioneering/fxC/ Contextual mission
- Able to inspire and influence others
- An appreciation for, and a commitment to work positively within, the breadth of the Church of England
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Experience of building and leading functional, successful teams
If you would like an informal chat please contact: Canon Will Cookson
Mobile: 07505 128548
Deadline for Applications: 28th October 2019
For further information and to apply, please go the Pathways
Closing date: 28 October 2019