The Bishop of London
wishes to appoint an Incumbent for
St Olave Hart Street,
and Area Director of Training & Development
This post offers a unique opportunity to minister to a busy and complex City of London parish, while developing programmes and initiatives to help clergy and laity grow and enhance their skills. It combines the work of Rector of the church of St Olave Hart Street with a new role,
leading training and development in the Two Cities. Both roles require the
capacity to care and nurture, to think creatively and innovatively, and to motivate others in their journey of faith.
The Area Director of Training and Development (ADTD) for the Two Cities Episcopal Area will be a senior member of the Bishop’s Staff Team and member of the Diocesan ADTD team. They will act as lead Director of Ordinands working with a small team of Directors of Ordinands, taking candidates through the discernment and training process. They will also undertake training, support and development of clergy and laity.
Extensive accommodation is provided in the Rectory above the church.
The Bishop and PCC are seeking someone who is:
- Open-hearted with strategic vision, deep spirituality and faith, able to lead and inspire others within the church and in the wider City community.
- An experienced priest with outstanding pastoral skills to provide empathy, care and support for the congregation and for others who seek the sanctuary of St Olave’s, whatever their circumstances.
- Keen to explore creatively new areas of mission and ministry in the changing environment of the modern City of London.
- An outstanding theological teacher and ministry trainer, with strong organisational and management skills.
- At ease relating to churches across all traditions in the Diocese
of London, and fully committed to the Diocesan vision.
Parish Profile and application form available from
Janet Laws, Personal Assistant to the Bishop of London
The closing date for applications : 12 noon on Tuesday 2nd April 2019
Interviews to be held on Tuesday 21st May 2019
Enhanced DBS will be required
We welcome applications from all. However, the Diocese of London is aware that women and those from ethnic minority groups are currently under-represented among our clergy and so we particularly encourage applications from these groups. Appointment will of course be based on merit alone.
Closing date: 02 April 2019