Salary: £230-280 p.w.
A part-time features editor for the Church Times is sought to provide maternity cover for up to one year. This is a freelance post: two days a week. We’re looking for someone who can come and work in our busy, friendly office near the Barbican, in central London, but some home working might be possible.
Like the rest of the Church Times, the features explore all aspects of life touched by faith. This can range from practical pieces (“How do you heat a church?”) and theological ones (“What does it mean to be ‘a Church of the poor?’”), to articles about a huge range of other topics, from history to politics to the arts. We are looking for someone who reads widely; who can spot opportunities to make links between faith and the wider culture; who can commission strong writers (and nurture less experienced ones; and who has a good visual sense to ensure that our feature pages continue to look good.
The ideal candidate will have:
- experience of commissioning and editing feature-length writing, including providing constructive feedback to writers
- experience of researching and writing features
- a good working knowledge of and interest in the Anglican Church, including current news and trends
- a commitment to reading widely, from blogs about church life to mainstream coverage of the arts and current affairs
- a concern for accuracy and fact-checking
- a commitment to maintaining and building good relationships with those who read and write for Church Times
- familiarity with social media and how to use it to research and promote Church Times content
- ability to work with colleagues, including design staff, to produce attractive lay-outs, including finding strong photography
- a basic understanding of content management systems
- the ability to work individually as well as part of a close-knit team
What we offer:
A flexible and friendly working environment in our offices near the Barbican
Invaluable experience exploring a wide range of beats from theology to the arts
A chance to work creatively with knowledgeable people on fascinating subjects
The Church Times is owned by Hymns Ancient & Modern, a registered charity. Also in the group are SCM-Canterbury Press, Church House Publishing, the Church House Bookshop, Norwich Books and Music (distributors), and other periodicals.
Please email the editor (email@example.com ) with a CV, referees, examples of your written work (feature-length), and an indication of your present salary and availability.
Closing date for applications: 28 February
Interviews: 5 March
Closing date: 28 February 2020