The Cathedral of St John the Evangelist is the mother church of the Diocese of Hong Kong Island. We offer a wide range of worship,outreach and nurture programmes to an international community with services in English, Mandarin, Cantonese and Tagalog in the Cathedral and three daughter churches.
The Dean is the head priest, pastor, teacher, and administrator of the Cathedral community, leading a team of nine stipendiary and non-stipendiary clergy and over 70 administrative, support and outreach staff members.
Candidates must be ordained priests in the Anglican/Episcopal tradition and members of the Anglican Communion with sound theological training and a good understanding of current issues of the church.
Reflecting the multicultural nature of Hong Kong, candidates should respect the diversity of the congregation. Fluency in English is essential; Cantonese or Mandarin is necessary, and candidates must be willing to take lessons in either.
The position demands strong leadership qualities, including:
- Excellence in preaching with proven experience in contextual
- biblical exegesis.
- Ability to devise and articulate a clear vision for St. John’s Cathedral
- Ability to lead a large team; experience working with diverse clergy
- Ability to engage in dialogue and demonstrable experience in
- mediation and reconciliation.
- Effective communication skills, including with the media.
Applications are invited, accompanied by a CV and personal statement by
30 June 2020.
For further information or to apply, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 30 June 2020